Saturday, March 1, 2008

Fashion Lesson 1

The purpose of the book, The Way We Look is described by author Marilyn Revell DeLong as “to relieve tunnel vision.” It teaches the fashion student a framework for visual analysis of dress. There are some visual exercises in it suggested to fashion educators to teach pupils to practise and understand analysis of dress. By using verbal language to describe clothing (apparel-body constructs) and understanding individual and group responses to such. One other interesting lesson is about relating perception and preference of visual form to exposure over time.

I’ve done the lessons in the book as I read it, but as I’m not in class with a professor or students, I can’t fully appreciate the execution of the lessons. So I’m going to put my answers here and please comment on them and feel free to do the lessons at home and tell me about your results.

Lesson 1: Understanding individual and group response to the apparel-body construct.

When comparing several apparel-body constructs it is useful to begin by analyzing the effect of the whole image and then to proceed to analyze what has caused this effect. To analyze the whole effect a recording of your spontaneous reaction is useful. Please complete the exercise individually.

Using the three numbered photos of contemporary apparel-body construct’s I've displayed on this blog just below, place each one’s number on each line below in a position between the two extremes (midpoint on the line represents neutral.)

Can you think of any other word pairs that would describe the apparel-body construct? List them. Now go through the word pairs. Note which number are placed together on a line and which, if any, are at the extreme positions. Write comments about observations. Please share your results! I will post my results soon! (As soon as I get back home to my lovely scanner.) I'm at my parents because I visited a bridal boutique with my mum today to try on some gowns, It's back to Toronto tomorrow for more gown sampling. To Justina McCaffrey's Toronto boutique! eeeeeeeee
PHOTOS:

No comments: