Sunday, March 9, 2008

Hot for Spring

Ok, I juuust finished watching Project Runway Canada the other night. I didn’t have cable or even really a reliable internet connection when it aired while I was living in Vancouver, but my stepdad taped every last episode for me and when I finally got to watching them- I was hooked! I watched the entire season in the course of a few days. The last episode was pretty emotional and so thrilling! I wish I could have been at that fasion show. I loved the whole thing. I felt bad about a couple of the designers leaving, like Carlie and Shernet. Ultimately the outcome was satisfying…. I do agree that Bidell has ideas, he wants purpose to create. Like helping the environment or a worthy charity. I love MG, I think her stuff is great but sometimes she really hits the mark and sometimes not… Don’t know why… I think that maybe she could have done better than what she put on the catwalk for fashion week. It was a little inconsistent. I would love to see more by her… There were many pieces by her throughout the show I thought were so hot… And Lucien… well… his stuff is amazing… Very "Lucien" of course, I want to see more from all of them. The model that Biddel had wearing his jacket (made with the deerskin his family shot) just summed up his collection for me. Her badass attitude is what Bidell's collention was about.

I actually do get to see more stuff by Lucien pretty soon- To spend a day at L’Oreal Fashion week this spring I have to skip a day at work. Kristen will be coming with me and I am so excited!! This will actually be the first fashion week I’ve watched from the seating area, the only other time I’ve been was to volunteer backstage at BC Fashion Week. (I find that weird, that it’s called "BC Fashion Week" and not "Vancouver Fashion Week".) Bustle will be there, Evan and Dean, Preloved, so many… can’t wait… Sad I’m missing out on the other ones, but I do have a job… Can’t skip the whole week… Damn.
It seems like the movement of designer’s spring fashions this year are going in 2 distinct directions- the harsher, architectural, futurist and the soft, flowing, mad colour, reminiscent romanticism. I’m hot for the flowy stuff… Ruffles! Colour! Paint! Volume! So beautiful and exciting. I love seeing fashion moving forward, seeing it continually morph, evolve, change and even repeat itself in new ways... I'm looking forward also to my own evolution. I'm just getting started!
Went to my second sewing class yesterday and made two zippered pouches with lining. Next week I'll start making my pencil skirt and I signed up for another class at the end of April. I'll learn how to cut fabric on the bias and make a tie. Here's the pouches:


Holt Renfrew on ice! Saw this ice sculpture and a whole bunch more when leaving the Justina McCaffrey boutique last weekend. I guess the fact that the ice says 'Holt Renfrew' on it is a little hard to read... But that's what it says.
I want this book: “Fashion Illustration by Fashion Designers”.

No comments: