Wednesday, February 27, 2008

Design Museum

The fourth and final week of Glam.com's Design a Dress contest is on now! Go to Glam.com to vote.

I stumbled upon the Design Museum website the other day. The museum is in London, England. It's a great resource to see and learn about design in general. Like the DX in Toronto it celebrates design mediums such as furniture, architecture, graphics, machinery (and more) as well as fashion. I was searching through some of the resources and found some images I liked, and decided to check out a designer I hadn't heard of before.

John Galliano I know, here's some images of his from 1998-2001 of some couture collections for Dior:The designer I didn't know and checked out was Philip Treacy. He is a hat designer. He makes them by hand and they are definately 'take you there' type pieces.

Treacy has made hats for Chanel, Valentino, Gianni Versace and Alexander McQueen at Givenchy. He says: “Having studied fashion design it helped me greatly when I started working with designers because I understood how the clothes draped or moved and the proportions. What I didn’t understand as a student was that fashion isn’t clothes, fashion is much more interesting than that, it’s a feeling and a mood – not dress-making.”

Here are a few of his couture hats:
I was interested to see that Urban Outs is selling high waisted styles now... See here.

No comments: