Friday, January 1, 2010

2010: The Year to Make it Work

what I wore today
I have (what seems) to be an intense New Year's Resolution this year. I came up with it yesterday after some boxing week shopping. (There was this gorgeous crocheted full length sweater I wanted from Fashion Crimes...) I had a rather splurgy 2009. My husband and me both. (Got married - [just realised I never posted any wedding photos!? Only honeymoon photos...], went to Disneyworld for our honeymoon, lots of clothes, shoes and makeup were added to my wardrobe, Steve and I got splurgy Halloween costumes and I got an outfit for the Gaga concert, expensive Christmas gifts bought, everyday gifts (camera), concert tickets, new TV, couch, furniture.......) I think I have become accustomed to spending a lot more than I used to. I used to be very frugal and I got my student loan payed off as quickly as I could after graduating. I need some more frugal time. I'm sick of feeling guilty and anxious about spending. So this year I've decided that there will be a small budget for myself to use frivolously each month. It sounds like a small amount to me right now, especially with shopping trip totals in recent memory, but I do think it's totally manageable for me to still do pretty much whatever my friends are up to each month and maybe get something small for myself every now and then, be it my favorite foundation, an espresso or some new fabric. The magic number is 53. I have $53 to spend each month on ME. I figured out my living expenses and the leftover I am going to save or invest. If I don't spend the total $53 allowance one month, it will carry over to the next month. I will have to decide what costs fall under 'necessity' and what fall under 'splurge'. There is one clothing item I really would love to add to my wardrobe right now, I really want a onesie with a harem pant style, something like this. And then I spied these back zip up cigarette jeans... And I want a grey lipstick... Maybe some lovely perfume... Well 2010 will be the year to...

MAKE IT WORK!

With my $53 budget I can choose to go see a movie with friends or buy some zippers to stick into the back of jeans I already own... I will have to love my wardrobe for what it is now and if I really want something new or different that is out of the budget, I will just have to make it. This army has a sewing machine and a box of fabric and patterns!!! Also, there is this necklace I've been wanting to make for ages, but I am not ready to make it just yet. I am collecting lot of items to make it with. It will be very chunky and random. Though since I am collecting all the pieces over time, each item on the necklace will have a history personal to me. I've also been keeping a mountain of old jeans with the dream of making a ballgown out of them. I may not have enough jeans, I certainly haven't had the time to tackle that project yet. I also want to silkscreen some t-shirts and stockings! So many things I want to make! Maybe this year I will find the time for a couple projects... I got a keyboard for Christmas from Stephen and I am sooo excited for that! I want to have at least one song well practised to play for next Christmas. And I've got my classical animation demo reel to finish... So many projects... $53 a month... I wish I could buy more hours for each day...

my new keyboard!!! (Now it has a home in my living room on a stand instead of my parents living room floor)
the perfect breakfast which was actually my dinner today: fruit, granola with nuts/seeds/dried fruit, low fat vanilla yogurt, a drizzle of maple syrup, dashes of cinnamon, cloves, cayenne pepper... no preservatives, aspartame, sucralose or anything I can't pronouce!!! The fruit and syrup were leftover from the New Years Day brunch I had at my place. Made cappucinios and waffles with a mountain of fresh cut fruit for all my friends to nosh on.
BLOG REVAMP COMING SOON

No comments: