Wednesday, April 15, 2009

Why I play it safe at work

So today my boss (one of 'em) noticed my bright yellow nailpolish. I tend to play it really safe at work, fashion-dressing wise. (On the weekend heading out with mom and sis to have my trial updo for the wedding I wore stuff I really love to wear... 5 inch lace up 'construction' heels, fresh yellow nail polish, Green lacy patterned stockings over a frilly black cotton skirt and my trusty 'bride' shirt that I designed. My makeup mimicked what I'll have on my wedding day just so I could see how it looked with wed hair.) Well, today I wore very little make up, a basics Urban Outs shirt, jeans and cowboys. So later in the day (after monsieur director had his reaction and even unglamorously pointed out my nails to a fellow co-worker just for good measure,) him, myself and a few other animators were chatting about how to handle a prop issue in some shorts we're working on and when I tried to describe that I thought the prop might be floaty (I meant floaty, weightless animation) I got some smiles and the boss said he thought it was the nail polish talking.

ugh.

So for the rest of the day when he was around I hid my nails from him.

I hate having to 'tone down' my style for work... And I work in an artistic industry too!! But I can't stand to have people look at my clothes and not me at my job... The office is not the runway... (Everywhere is the runway in my head.)

As for the trial updo on the weekend, it was so frickin' awesome! Shannon (my stylist at Redd) was super excited about the look I want. It was such a pleasure to have her go for it with my hair and see the gorgeous results. I had a hairsyle picked out from an Anne Barge ad and Shannon told me most salons wouldn't even try to attempt the hairstyle or they'd do a crap job. Whether that's totally true, I don't really know... But it was not the easiest do and she was excited to create it for me. To get the volume needed, I have to apply a mousse to my hair after showering the day before the wedding and blow dry it, not shower day-of, and then she will pin a hair net full of hair extensions to the base of my head and build all the volumous curls on top and around of that.I was wondering if maybe my wed look would actually be kinda safe... I hate safe... You know, white dress, necklace, earrings.... But the way my hair turned out, and thinking of the trial makeup I had done at MAC, and describing the 3/4 length black beaded gloves to Shannon, my black satin 5 inch stilletto platforms and that even some of my flowers are black, finally testing out the white birdcage veil when my hair was done... It was very exciting to start to see it all come together and realise how un-safe my wed look will be...

No comments: