Sunday, October 5, 2008

Nuit Blanche 2008

So much has happened since I last posted! Firstly, last night was Nuit Blanche in Toronto. The first thing I did was head out to Over the Rainbow to see Danielle. She was doing a bit of sketching and her demin art installtion was on display in the front window. A huge Globe made of denim pieces! There was a lot of texture to it, even a zipper here and there and it rotated from a wire attached to the ceiling.
Danielle and I (above)

A picture of Danielle's Demin Art Installation Denim Globe (below) I had Stephen, Dan (my brother), Liz, (his g/f) with me so we tried to hit a bunch of events that each of us was interested in seeing. A really fun one was hosted by Bravo!FACT/The Music Gallery Sports Bar, it was a filming of a bunch of shorts. They were funky and cool, the venue was very interesting, all the films were being screened in a little church. I was happy to sit down for a bit and ended up entering the win a trip to Paris contest being held by Nuit Blance with my cel phone. Then a short came on called Roast Beef and the sounds and I couldn't tear my eyes away from the screen... I loved it.

Another event we made sure to see was Project Blinkenlights at City Hall, an interative light installation built inside Toronto City Hall. This project will actually run each evening from October 4 7pm - October 7 at 7am. You can learn more at www.blinkenlights.net. Different things were happening on the windows of the buildings, often a game of pong was being played, or perhaps an animation flashed by of an animal run cycle...
Another installation was titled Into the Blue and it hung from the ceiling of the Eaton Center. It is meant to be view from afar, where one may se the balloon levels reflect and refract light, as well as from underneath where it is to be experienced like an environment.And of course I went to see Art of Fashion's Between the Lines Designer exhibit. There were several young designers collections based on the theme of Between the Lines. There will be a designers Trunk Show held at the Drake Hotel hosted again by Art of Fashion Thursday October 16 from 4pm - midnight.

Last weekend was The weekend of The Clothing Show. I had wanted to go on Saturday but ended up spending Saturday doing a fabric crawl around Queen West. So I made it out to The Clothing Show on Sunday. The fabrics I ended up getting were amazing/insane. A boiled red, blue, yellow and green wool I nabbed for some vintage 70's high waisted pants and a sheer, very soft and drapey I'm not even sure what kind of fabric, it's a bit net-like if you look closely is for a jacket I'm going to make. I was very happy to get the wool, I needed 1 3/4 yards and that was exactly how much of this fabric was left for sale! Apparently another customer had been in the store thinking of buying as well.

The CreativFestival is taking place October 17, - 19 this year and I've registered for a couple of classes and a Bronze pass. Going to pick up some new sewing knowledge and scope out the many sales and events.

The Workroom is having it's one year anniversary soon and and is hosting a party on October 14 from 6-9pm.

1 comment:

Hobo Divine said...

Wow,
Wonderful Blog Andrea!
Thank you for inviting me.

~Hobo