Monday, April 7, 2008

Missing out on FAT

Well I was really looking forward to going to Alternative Fashion Week (FAT), but everything seems to be adding up these days and I'm feeling a little squeezed... I've been spending a lot of my extra cash on sewing lessons and fabrics, and with wedding expenses on top of that, I can't justify spending more. So if you're going, please take pictures! Write about the show on your blogs! I think the FAT site looks great, but I don't think it will get much media coverage, not like L'Oreal Fashion week, so it doesn't seem like I can skip the runway and just see photos of the shows hours later online...

Yesterday I went to the fabric swap at The Workroom and I can't believe how much fabric people considered 'garbage'!!! I got a steal of a deal, mountains of wonderful fabrics for just $40. I'm pretty pleased, using this forgotten, vintage, thrown-away fabric will be recycling and reusing, exactly what I want to incorporate into my creations. Some of the fabrics seem to have come from couch covers and curtains, some are just big sheets and some little scraps from other people's past projects.

Danielle on Final Fashion wrote that she thinks there is a cotton conspiracy. There totally is. My fiancee Stephen's 4th year film for his Animation course was precisely about that, the growing of cotton and how it destroys environment and communities when done improperly. It's an economy thing, like so many not so great things in our everyday lives that hurt the environment. Consider the situation going on with The Aral Sea. You can see Stephen's film, Quiet Chernobyl on youtube.com.

No comments: